Friday, September 25, 2009

Dad wins.

So a few days ago we ordered a Christmas gift for little man off of kids woot (which is a fantastic deal of the day site to watch by the way).

The tracking said that I'd get the package on Monday, the 28th, but alas, when I went to get the mail today there was a package waiting. And who should be with me? You guessed it.

I did tell him honestly that it was a Christmas gift for him and it would be a long wait until he can open it (I'm not sure why, but it seemed like a good idea at the time). The whole car ride home (all 2 minutes of it) he was looking at the box, curious as a kitten.

The plot will thicken soon, but let me preface by saying that we went to the bookstore this morning and he got a brand new Where's Waldo book (it's brand new to him, but the copyright is 1988...believe it, folks, we're getting older).

So we get home and I tell him that the package will stay in the car because my hands are 'full' and I can't carry it in right now (out of sight, out of mind).

We get inside and he turns to me and says, "Oh no. I left my Waldo book in the car!"

I tell him to go get it, but under no circumstances is he to look in that box (which I forgot to mention, the tape it coming off of the top and you can see inside a little).

So...I send him on his way. Then my Dadstincts kick in (which is completely different from my Dadstinks...). I grab the binoculars and my keys...then I head to the laundry room which gives me a clear view of the car and he can't see me very well.

He opens the door, climbs up and closes the door. Perfect for me. He grabs his book and turns back to leave. Good. Then he stops and looks at the house. Gears are turning. I see him lean toward the box. Not good. I lock my car and then push the panic button twice, causing my car to beep one single time. He heads back to the door. Good. He stops and stares at the house for a full ten seconds. Then he ducks down out of site. Not good. I push the panic button again allowing for two beeps this time. I see his little head pop up and his frustrated little hand hit the seat. He has given up.

He opens the door, hops out, closes the door and, with his head hung low, walks back to the house.

I win...and he has no clue that it was me.

7 comments:

Mom said...

I could not stop laughing! That is hilarious. I can just picture his little head disappearing behind the seats :)

Erik said...

That is freakin' hilarious.

Justin Rineer said...

The picture makes the story even better. Great job Dad!

Anonymous said...

What faith in your lil man's impulse control! That was an exciting read.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny and the picture is great.

Lamar The Revenger said...

I can't wait to do that with Alex. That'll learn him

Anonymous said...

Wow dad can do tat