Friday, March 12, 2010

Good Initiative, Bad Judgment

If you ask anyone, they'll probably be able to tell you about a half dozen words or phrases that they've heard which have stuck with them through their lives. Ask anyone who was or is in the military and they'll be able to tell you about three dozen, unfortunately, this being a blog about a father and son, I can't share most of them here.

Although, there is a phrase which, as of late, I've been using more than most others: good initiative, bad judgment. It means the obvious: you did good wanting to do what you did, your intentions were sound, however what you did wasn't the best choice. And, you guessed it, I've been using it with the little mister more and more lately.

The latest incident is definitely blog worthy. I had sent Declan upstairs to get dressed while I finished doing whatever it was I was doing downstairs. When I was done, I still heard the rattling of him trying to close his dresser drawers, so I went up to see if I could assist. Walking into his room I saw him standing there with his pants on and socks (good job so far), but he was putting his shirt on over his pajama shirt (huh?).

"Wait, wait, wait!" I said, walking into his room. "You have to take off your pajama shirt."
"No," he said moving away from my assisting reach, "I want to wear it under my clothes."
"What? Why?" I smiled questioningly. I braced myself for the awesome power of cute.
"If I wear my pajamas under my clothes, then I won't need to put them on tonight. I can just take these off and go to bed." He made a 'bloop bloop' noise as he mimed taking off his shirt and pants.

After I explained to him that wearing his pajamas under his clothes all day would render them obsolete as sleeping attire, I helped him change his shirt. However glancing around his room, I took note of the scattered clothing. Looking back at him, I simply pointed to his pants and cocked my head to the side.

He rolled his eyes as he slowly lifted his pant leg: a brightly colored, fish laden, pajama-covered leg came into view.

Good initiative, bad judgment, little man.

No comments: