Friday, August 14, 2009

Reading success!!

Every day, we have learning time and, being the age he is, the priority is reading...so we work on our letters. At first it was letter recognition, especially of the lower case ones. We also started working on word recognition for the more common words, 'the', 'in', 'at', etc. and also the common sounds '-un', '-at', '-ing' and so on. I do this all with the help of my handy dandy flash cards.

All in all, it's been a success. He's read sentences like 'the cat is fat' and 'the bat is a cat'. He's been really doing well. Lately, I've been pushing him to sound out the letters he sees instead of just saying the letter names and the results have been good.

This morning, he read the following with very minimal assistance from me. I think his biggest problem is that he tries to guess the word once he gets one of the word sounds.


Next week, I'll back off the whole word thing and start with sounds again...ease him back into it.

No comments: